Finally Microsoft released the long anticipated IIS7 URL Rewrite Module. It really was about time! The key features look promising:
- Rules-based URL rewriting engine
- Regular expression pattern matching
- Wildcard pattern matching
- Global and distributed rewrite rules
- Access to server variables and http headers
- Various rule actions
- Rewrite maps
- UI for managing rewrite rules
- GUI tool for importing of mod_rewrite rules
Quite comfortable that they even integrated a GUI Tool for importing Apache2 mod_rewrite rules. I’m not sure yet how strong URL Routing is, which first came up with the MVC CTPs and is now available for ASP.NET, too – I didn’t test it yet. For now I will give the new IIS7 Module a first shot as my current projects use URL Rewriting already and I think it’ll be easier to port my existing third-party URL Rewrite Engine to the new IIS7 one. I plan on not touching URL Routing until it reached the final status.
Get it here: IIS7 – using url rewrite module.